Residential Peak Reduction Program
Receive $40 in bill credits every year by enrolling in the Residential Peak Reduction Program.
This program provides your household the unique opportunity to save money and promote energy reliability for all Appalachian Power customers. By participating, you will help reduce stress on the electric grid when demand is at its highest. When you enroll, a device is installed near your outside central air conditioning unit. During a limited number of peak demand periods, which typically occur on the hottest days of summer, Appalachian Power will activate this device to adjust your air conditioner's compressor to run at 50 percent cycling. During cycling events, the fan that circulates air inside your home will continue to run. Potential temperature change during your cycling events depends on a variety of factors including the temperature outside and the home's insulation.
- An $8.00 monthly bill credit for each central cooling unit controlled during the billing months of May through September every year that you participate.
- A program device installed near your outside central air conditioner. There is no additional cost for the device and installation. You do not need to be home at the time of installation.
- A program welcome packet containing a refrigerator magnet and a quick reference guide to answer any additional questions you may have.
- For a limited time you can get an Air Leakage Assessment ($50 value) at no cost to you when you enroll in both the HomeSMART Energy Assessment Program and the Residential Peak Reduction Program. Click here to find out how today!
- You must be an active Appalachian Power or American Electric Power customer in West Virginia.
- Your home must have central air conditioning in good working condition. Window and wall air conditioning units do not qualify for the program.
- You must own your home or have the property owner's permission to participate.
Frequently Asked Questions
To speak to a customer service representative or to enroll by phone, call toll-free 855-522-8216.